Wednesday, May 18, 2011

the Novelty

just getting started with a post about our Nag's Head trip . . . I will come back and post more!


















































It's amazing how many brain cells I feel I have lost in this whole "having kids" experience. It feels a little like being brain washed on some days. (and I didn't preserve any brain cells by going on vacation either!)


But on the other hand, I seem to be using new parts of my brain that I didn't even know existed. I don't have any memories from when I was 1 or 2 yrs old. But I feel like I am reliving those years. Everything my kids experience, I am experiencing too. I can't even explain the identification you have with your children. Their perspective becomes your perspective. Their frustration, hurt, joy, amazement, excitement becomes yours. It's like a whole other world that you step into. It's like . . . a bigger picture.


Why does life seem so exciting when you're two? I think . . . it's the novelty. Why are new things fun and exciting? Doesn't it always seem like the first time you experience something, it is extra memorable? extra stimulating? intriguing? beguiling? And, even though I'm not the one experiencing everything for the first time, my kids are. I think I get even more joy from experiencing life through them then I do on my own! (if that even makes sense) The best analogy I can make (and this analogy doesn't even do justice to my thoughts) is when you are watching your favorite movie with your best friend whose never seen the movie before.



Why did mom always say that if we lived at the beach, it just wouldn't be special anymore? that we wouldn't want to vacation there anymore?


it's the mystery of the novelty of things . . .

No comments: